The Open Road Is Calling

The Open Road Is Calling

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Chapter 10 - The Call

Steven picked up on the third ring and simply answered "You're late"
"By 2 minutes" Mel quipped, "sorry, I had to get a phone"
"Do I even want to know how you are traveling or how you got a phone?" He asked
"Probably not. Does anyone know I'm calling?"
"Do you really think I would tell you even if they did?"
"Good point." Mel sighed "Look, i'm on my own out here, I was set up, turns out by someone I was really close to and by some pretty scary people. I need to trust someone along the way, I cant do this alone. Maybe it was a mistake calling you and getting you involved, I'm sorry Steven. Bye"
"Wait," He said before she hung up "wait, please."
No dial tone meant she must still be listening, so he continued "I dont know why, but I feel I need to help you. I know you didnt do this, but you've been incredibly good at getting evidence to prove your innocence as it is. I'm a cop, its our duty to protect the innocent, and others may not have, but its my duty as a cop, and as a decent human being to do what I can to help you"
"Thats the nicest anyone has been to me all week" Mel answered.
"Its about time someone helped you out a little" He smiled, thinking this girl had more balls than the average guy, "what info do you have that you can tell me?"
"Well, turns out this Felix Osaba guy has been smuggling drugs and guns into the country through the harbour, some he drops off for distribution in jozi,"
"Stop, did you say Felix Osaba?"
"Yeah, why?"
"You're in way deeper than you know!"
"Why?" Mel was now puzzled "You've heard of him?"
"Mel, that guy is wanted for war crimes in 5 African countries, he's suspected of sex slave trafficking and he is one of the most wanted men in South Africa, heck even the US has Felix Osaba on their wanted list."
"Oh" a feeling of sick dread came over her
"Unfortunately there are many in the south african police force who are in his pocket. Considering how Detective Shabane stopped searching once he found you, I'm going to hazard a guess that he's also in Osaba's pocket."
Silence, Mel's mouth had gone dry and the road ahead was looking awfully blurry. She pulled the truck to the side of the road, "So what can I do? I'm basically on a suicide mission going in alone here. But if I stop running, I'll be falsely imprisoned." She gave her first sob since the whole ordeal began, it seemed there really was no way out and she was just collateral damage.
"Mel, its going to be ok. We'll work it out. I promise" He tried to reassure her, "What other information have you found out? I know you've been resourceful."
"Well, I tapped his phone, he's in joburg right now, they're offloading part of the shipment at 8:30 this morning and then heading straight for the border. I was planning on following them to their warehouse when they go to offload and take some photos, then try to get the upcountry cops to stop hi before he gets through the border." She took a breathe, "But now that all seems so stupid."

"Thats actually a really good plan." He admitted "But, like you said its a suicide mission on your own. There is nothing I can do to get up there in time to help you today. However, I have some buddies up on the reef who can help. I know Joburg, even if you can make it to the city in time, you wont make it to the warehouse in time."
"What are you suggesting?" she half pleaded, half asked
"There's a guy I know who used to be head the anti corruption unit. Unfortunately because the unit was actually doing its job, it got closed down and all the guys working it lost their jobs. I'll ask him if he can stake out the place and try get the evidence needed."
"Ok" she dryly stated. Exhausted and suddenly feeling like the damsel in distress from a fairy tale, even Steven could hear the defeat in this strong woman's voice. "What should I do then? Should I hide? Head up towards the border just in case?"
Scratching is his head, he knew a guy who might be able to keep her hidden and be resourceful enough to help. But if he sent her there, this guy could decide that the reward on her head was worth turning her in. With Jake it could go either way. But what choice did he have?
"Steven, are you ok?" Mel asked
She had the kindness in her heart to think of his feelings and his well being while he was part of the organisation hunting her. "Yeah, thanks." He responded. "Do you have a piece of paper and a pen, I need to give you a phone number and  address for someone who will help you hide. He owes me a favor."

No comments:

Post a Comment